Each summer during the Texas Choral Directors Association convention in San Antonio, students from choirs across the state meet to develop leadership skills specific to integrate into their own programs.
Directors will register students at the end of the 2017/2018 school year for the summer leadership day.
2018 TCDA Student Leadership Day
Saturday, July 28, 2018
Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
San Antonio, Texas
Information from TCDA
We are excited to host over 400 students for TCDA’s Annual High School Student Day. Below is a checklist for you to pass along to your students and parent chaperones regarding the activities and expectations.
- REGISTRATION: HS Student Day registration will be located in the same area as TCDA registration in the convention center’s West Registration area. All of your students’ badges will be in one envelope marked with your school’s name and can be picked up at the specially marked “High School Student Day Registration” booth by any student or chaperone. Registration badges can be picked up as early as 8:00 am.
- PARKING – Please visit the San Antonio Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center website for information regarding parking. http://www.sahbgcc.com/default.asp?sanantonio=46
- LOCATION: All sessions will be held in the Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center in Ballroom C-1.
- ATTIRE: Choir t-shirt and jeans. While it may be over 100 degrees outside, the convention center tends to be chilly, so long pants and a light jacket are encouraged.
- WHAT TO BRING: Students should bring a pencil, paper to write on, a folder, and money for lunch. We recommend eating in the convention center or across the street in the River Center Mall food court.
- WHAT NOT TO BRING: Students should turn off their cell phones while they are in workshops.
- CHAPERONE INFORMATION: Chaperons who attend sessions should sit at the back of the room to observe.
Session Agenda (From 2017 West Texas Student Day)
9:00 – 9:30 am Registration/Welcome
9:30 am – 12:00pm Developing Student Leadership – Duane Hill Through a variety of high-energy techniques and strategies, participants will be empowered to create a positive and life-changing culture that is beneficial for them and for their organizations. Students will build strategies for communication and for breaking down the barriers that impede success.
12:00-1:30 pm Lunch Offsite (Chaperones/Directors will be responsible for their students during this time)
Students will attend the following breakout sessions both being held from 1:30pm – 2:30pm & 2:30pm – 3:30pm.
- Breakout Session #1 – The Mind of a Maestro – Ken Sieloff, Permian High School Students will be exposed to numerous topics, from the basic principles of conducting, score marking and rehearsal preparation, to the working relationship between the teacher and the student, and why teachers do the things they do. Mr. Sieloff will open the floor to questions about how to prepare for a career in music.
- Breakout Session #2 – Dr. Frank Eychaner, University of Texas Permian Basin
3:30 – 4:00 pm Closing Session with Dr. Keith Dye, TMEA Past-President
4:00 – 4:30 pm “Best of West Texas” Performance
The mission of TCDA is to support and foster the success of Texas choral directors and music teachers and to instill a love of music in every Texas school, church, and community singer